Thursday, March 27, 2008

No assembly required

It's Christmas morning, and you're in the living room opening presents and playing with your new toys. Some of them have to be put together, and the instructions are exasperating. Does part A really fit into tab B like that?

But then there's a gift around the tree that hasn't been opened. You reach for it, open it, and wow--this beautiful toy all ready to go and to play with. No assembly required. No instructions. Complete.

But you go back to the mishmash of parts strewn on the floor.

I've talked about completeness before. I've been called complete. So if I am complete, as a man, then wouldn't it make sense to take what is complete? Shouldn't you take better? It doesn't matter to me if you're complete or not. I'll take you as you are and enjoy and care about you. I'm strong enough to do that.

And a note on relationships. Color me naive, but I don't want to see relationships between men and women be about power, control or management. When I am in a relationship, I am supporting my mate. Nourishing her, and nourishing me. I don't want this to be about power. I want it to be about becoming the best a man and woman together can be.

This is all that I want.

(Relationships may indeed be more about power, control and management. But I want to rise above that.)

No comments: