Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Rain dance/Blowing in the wind

Two drives, two stories...

Yesterday afternoon's commute was sloppy. Fog, rain, lots of spray being thrown up. Not a great day for driving. Or was it? I had some of the initial, "Geez, this drive's gonna suck." But after a couple of minutes to settle in, things got better. Lights on, wipers on, radio barely on. Moving with the traffic, not pushing things.

Then I got to the turnpike.

As I got up to speed, the rain came harder, like it was taunting me. Challenging me to see what I had on a wet track. Ok, no problem. As I gathered speed, my concentration focused. With grace and aplomb, I picked my way through slower traffic and backmarkers. It needs to be said here that I don't drive with my hair on fire, but I'm paying attention to what I am doing. Moreso than other drivers, who seem intent on driving slowly in the left lane. Or talking on the phone.

What I love about driving it that I have to focus, and put everything I have into the act. It's a theme of my life...

Today was calmer, but windier. The car was getting tossed around a bit. I had to make sure I had a good grip on the wheel to keep it in the lane. My grip on the wheel is never too tight, like I see with some drivers. Loose, there, ready to correct. Ready to guide.

No comments: