Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Drive to the light

Morning commutes are usually dull affairs. I try to accomplish something in mine. A new thought, a new idea. This morning came a thought, and a magnificiant sight.

Morning commutes are usually dull affairs. I try to accomplish something in mine. A new thought, a new idea. This morning came a thought, and a magnificiant sight.

The thought: Actually, an old one--the spiritually, the emotional are more significant to me that the material. I'm not dissing the material here--a car, a house, a watch--these things are nice. But the emotional and the spiritual will carry me so much further in life.

The sight: This morning's sunrise was unusually beautiful--the cloud cover produced a glorious palette of purples, grays and oranges. Then I saw something I had never seen before. The sun and the clouds met in such a way that a shaft of light pointed up from the sun into the sky. I was so struck by what I had seen. I'm not saying it was a sign or anything, but there was a moment of serendipity, of grace, in that moment, that will stay with me.

No comments: