Sunday, May 4, 2008

Obligation/inspiration

The website address from the essay (and my name) come from an essay by Ralph Ellison, "The Little Man at Chehaw Station."

Simply stated, I have to be as good as I can possibly be at any moment. Some may shy away from this ideal, others may think it gives me no leeway to let my hair down. No, and hardly. People seem to make being good a burden, a chore. It is a joy, even if I fall short. I want to be as good as I can for me, and for someone else. Good, and everything that good entails.

Yes, it is an obligation for me. And it is an inspiration to be everything I can be. And the inspiration is what powers me.

My intention to be good is always present. Even if I fail in the execution.

Why do I want to be bad, when I can be good? I don't understand.

No comments: