Thursday, May 15, 2008

Animal kingdom

I love this post about an injured coyote in the woods, and what it can teach.

Here's a great takeaway...

When we give without assumptions, something special happens. We discover that we’re not giving in order to appease our own judgments, but that we are giving simply to GIVE. This is true compassion, and giving in this way is always a joyful thing. Nothing taints the purity of our giving.

This is most important when it comes to our relationship with ourselves. In our constant striving to make our lives better, we rarely stop to appreciate where we are. This simple skill is lost to us, and in this way we guarantee that no matter what we achieve, we will always be filled with desire for more.

It is fine to strive for more, but if we do it believing that our life will be better once we get what we want, then we’ll be trapping ourselves in an endless cycle. Let us see clearly enough to recognize that our joy is right here, right now, no matter what our circumstances. We may have just gotten a wonderful new job, just been diagnosed with terminal cancer, or be sitting down to a bowl of oatmeal in the morning. In each of these moments we are free to experience life, or to push life aside in a constant effort to make things better.

Right now. Right now. Right now.

I love where I am right now. You are correct, I don't have what I am...striving for. But, in this moment, and in every moment I've felt this week, I am. I simply am. Right now. At every moment, I enjoy where I am.

And this also sort of speaks to completeness. What I desire and strive for isn't tangible. It never has been. I want spiritual depth and growth.

Namaste

No comments: