Thursday, March 13, 2008

Dear Momma

Today is my mother's birthday.

There is no gift in the world I can give her to repay her for all the love she has given me.

There is no gift in the world I can give her to repay all the sacrifices she has made for me.

My mom had me when she was quite young, and it's not easy to raise a little boy by yourself, at that age, even with help from grandma. But she did it.

My mom didn't have a whole lot, money-wise. Still, she made sacrifices for me. Boy Scouts, field trips, band trips, summer programs. She wanted me to succeed. She never said no to something that was important for me. She found a way. She gave more. I cannot ever repay her for sacrificing so much and giving so much.

There were times when I disappointed her. I never meant to. Little boys can do that. In the end, she forgave me, and she loved me.

I don't want to be a burden on my mom. She has given me so much intangible good and love, I don't want to let her down. There have been times where she's turned to me for help, but once or twice I couldn't help her as much as I wanted to. And it just killed me inside, because it wasn't enough, and that I let her down. I wanted to give her as much as she gave me.

Even though she has been scared as I've flown the nest, she has always supported me. When I moved overseas, she called every week. As long as she heard my voice, she was ok. She knew her son was ok.

The greatest gift my mom gives me is love. Everything my mom does she does out of love. She doesn't have to say the word love all the time. I know it's there.

All I want is for my thoughts, my words, my actions, my deeds, to be love. I want to live love. I want to live love consciously. Every moment. I want to give what my mom gives me. Love.

I am grateful for my mom.

I love you mom.

No comments: