Sunday, November 4, 2007

Move me

This morning, I was listening to "Rhapsody in Blue" off jazz pianist Marcus Roberts' CD. I've been listening to this thing for 10 years. But something happened today that's never happened before. There is a section in the piece about 3/4 of the way in with a big flourish (one of the more famous sections of the song). When the piece came, I was moved to tears. I don't know why, and I don't care--it felt so good.

A couple of days ago, I received a picture from a friend. This photo, in its sheer, incredible beauty, moved me, too. Stirred me up and filled me with an incredible lightness and desire. It floated me, carrying me off to the place of this beauty.

The soul knows what it needs to not only sustain itself, but to nourish it, feed it, grow. You may not know, but that's fine. Your soul finds the way to move. To be moved in these ways, and more, is such sweet joy.

No comments: