Saturday, October 20, 2007

I'm there

I think there is a little bit of misconception about meditation. To me, it's not just sitting cross-legged on a carpet quietly as Tibetan chimes sound. Yes, a peaceful picture. But it's also sex, driving, writing and eating a damn ham sandwich. It is being in the moment, right there. Present. There. It may look like you're just taking out the trash. But you're not doing it (or shouldn't be) doing it mindlessly. But mind-lessly. Do you hear that? Do you feel that? If you're there, you're there. No fanfare, no parades. Just there. But that doesn't diminish from the experience. Trust me here, kids, it doesn't.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a koan from
Zen Koans by Venerable Gyomay Kubose. It's subtle, yet all-encompassing at the same time...

Manjusri Enters the Gate

One day as Manjusri stood outside the gate, the Buddha called to him, "Manjusri, Manjusri, why do you not enter?" Manjusri replied, "I do not see myself as outside. Why enter?"

No comments: