Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Eyes open

Five years ago, I saw Herbie Hancock in Brussels. He and his band were on tour in Europe, promoting his Future 2 Future album. It was one of the better shows I've seen, and not just because I was stand about 20 feet from him. I loved the album, loved its vibe. I especially loved the song, "Be Still." On the album (but not at the concert), it was sung by Imani Uzuri, who has such a lustrous and wonderful voice. I had seen her a couple of years before, and was taken by how rich her voice was. This song, which I'm listening to now, always, always gives me goosebumps. ("Be still, and know, that I am"). The ending of the song moves me, now more than ever. It's a Zen saying...

From the withered tree, a flower blooms, now I can see more clearly.

No comments: