Thursday, October 25, 2007

Clarity

I've had at least three epiphanies in life, moments where the clouds parted and everything--everything--was clear. Epiphanies are glimpses into how life can be. One was of an intimate nature--no need to discuss it here. The other was in Paris...

One night, I was coming of le Franc Pinot, a jazz club on the Ile St. Louis, in the middle of the Seine. It is this great, small basement club--very intimate and classically Paris. Instead of taking the shorter route to the next club, I decided to walk through the island. It was a cold night, the lights washing over the narrow street. Then, I noticed something falling from the sky. I looked closer into the light--it was snow. Falling gently, until the entire street, quiet, hushed in the late night, was illuminated in flakes. I stopped to survey the scene, take it in. And thought, this is the way that life can be. The peace I felt in that moment was something I've rarely felt.

The other? If I spend time with someone, I usually feel this urge, pull for away time, for me to be alone. This year, one time, I stayed. I didn't feel like going. I wanted to stay.

No comments: