Monday, September 17, 2007

Odds and sods

Catching up after some time away...

Saturday, I wasn't feeling so hot. I had a special deed I had to undertake yesterday and today. I was fretting it--it's very intense work, and it's all you can do to keep your head above the wave. A buddy of mine and his wife invited me to a function involving ice cream. I was game for it. The drive was just so-so, despite a nice day. Getting there, we watched as my friend valiantly tried to win an ice-cream eating contest. Later, we went to dinner and chatted and shot the breeze. Afterward, I felt better about the task ahead of me. Nothing like friends and motion to keep you in balance.

Tiger did it again. He won the Tour Championship, and the first FedEx Cup. Give him credit--when there is something of value on the line, he brings it. Every time. No fuss, no muss. Just the will to get what he wants. It's no longer about the money for him (though the $10 million for winning the Cup is nice). It's about the competition. As he says, "You play, and when you play, you play to win, period. That’s how my dad raised me is you go out there and win.” The essence of simplicity.

There are some new and not-so-new posts on the tumblelog, including one on examples of not giving up. Well worth a read, and well worth remembering....

No comments: