Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The tao of head shaving

Every so often I shave my head. I like the look, and it saves me from going to the barber shop. I started recently, about the time I started this blog. It's a very deliberate act. Once you commit, there's no turning back. The first bits of hair on the razor mean you have to go forward, unless you have a thing for bald spots. Then, it becomes a matter of patience. I have to shave against the grain, so the strokes are slow and deliberate and conscious. If I don't pay attention, I get cut. Cuts on a bald pate aren't cute. Eventually, I go from short hair to no hair at all--the transformation is complete. I feel like I renew myself a little by shaving my head. Getting a fresh start, a chance to try again. I feel lighter, a burden being shorn away. A renewal every so often is good for the spirit.

No comments: