Friday, August 10, 2007

The man on the corner

Several years ago, I used to live in Jersey City, and to get to New York, I would have to take the Path train in. Some nights I'd get home late, and occasionally I'd see this guy riding the train. He would be wearing the same thing--darks pants, white shirt (sometimes with a tie), a Members Only-type jacket. And he'd be carrying all these plastic bags inside a larger plastic bag. The expression on his face was either one of sadness or vacancy. Was he homeless? Why did I see him late at night? What were the bags all about?

Jump to last night. I get off the Path train and head toward my train home. I walk down a ramp--and there he is. Same attire, same bags. After all these years, has anything changed for him? Maybe he works late. Maybe he really is homeless. How can one man set off so many questions. After all this time.

No comments: