Thursday, May 24, 2007

New York at Night

Live music has a great effect on me. No matter what's going on in my life, I can sit in a jazz club and be transformed and transfixed by the band. I went to a club on Park Avenue last night, and that's what happened. It was a young-ish quartet, playing for no cover. They had produced a CD, so obviously they had been together for a while. They sounded good, not overwhelming. But to sit in a room, gin & tonic in hand, listening, absorbing the music. Buzzing from the music and the libations, I walked out into the New York night. It was still a little warm, with a slight breeze blowing. I felt like I was walking on air. The combination of the music and Manhattan at night left me in the best spirits I've felt in a good long while. Sometimes to find a place where you can reconnect doesn't take a long trip to another place. You simply have to remember what brings you joy, and call on it when you need it.

No comments: