Sunday, May 27, 2007

Here comes the rain again

The picture on the homepage of this blog was taken was my apartment window while I lived in Brussels. Yes, there's snow in the photo. But Brussels is better known for the rain that seemed to fall there every day. I loved there for three years, and I miss it very much. For the first time, I felt like I was free, free to be me, explore and see what comes around the corner. One of the things I miss about the city is that ever-present rain. The sound it made hitting the roof and windows on my duplex, the quiet, soothing way it could calm a mood. Brussels was the perfect place for rain. On a dreary Friday, I could take a book into a cafe or restaurant, order a croque monsieur or a coffee, and lazily read or watch the world pass by huddled under umbrellas. It's nearly dawn in Brussels now. I wish I could be back in that apartment, listening to the raindrops lull me back to sleep. But the raindrops here will have to suffice.

No comments: